Witchcraft Hysteria Commemorative Stone

Witchcraft Hysteria Commemorative StoneA stone was placed by the Topsfield Historical Society on the Topsfield Common on May 25, 1992 to mark the 300th anniversary of the Salem Witchcraft Hysteria.


In memory of three women of Topsfield Parish

Mary Esty

Elizabeth How

Sarah Wildes

Victims of

the Witchcraft Delusion

of 1692


Topsfield Historical Society

May 25, 1992


Three residents of Topsfield, Mary Esty, Elizabeth How, and Sarah Wildes were hung in Salem.
In 2016, the exact site of the hangings was determined to be Proctor's Ledge at Gallows Hill in Salem, Massachusetts.


photo by R. Thatcher  May 6, 2017


Topsfield Historical Society. (1996?). The Parson Capen House (1683) Captain Joseph Gould Barn (c. 1710): Properties of the Topsfield Historical Society (brochure). Topsfield, Mass.: Topsfield Historical Society.



Further Reading

Dow, G. F. (1940). The Witchcraft Delusion. In History of Topsfield Massachusetts. (320-342). Topsfield, Mass. : Topsfield Historical Society. Reprinted 1982.  View Library Catalog record; read online at the Internet Archive.


External Links

Baker, Emerson W. The Gallows Hill Project.  Accessed December 29, 2016 at http://w3.salemstate.edu/~ebaker/Gallows_Hill

Ray, B. & University of Virginia. (2002) Salem Witch Trials Documentary Archive and Transcription Project.  Retrieved December 2013 from http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/home.html




Topsfield Times: A Community and Local History Resource